A brief history of The Installed Masters Association
The inaugural meeting of the Association was held on the 18th March 1904 in the Masonic Hall, Great George Street, when WB Richard Wilson took the chair and became the first President of the Association. The reasons for forming the Association were firstly to give Past Masters the opportunity of meeting together and renewing the friendships formed with Masters of their various Lodges and secondly, to receive letters and hold discussions appertaining to the welfare of the Craft. The Rules were drawn up in such a way as to allow any Past Master from within the Province to become members.
The first lecture delivered to the Association was on the subject of “Masonic Clothing” given by WB FJW. Crowe, PPGR (Devon), PGO Eng. During the first year other Lectures covered “The Landmarks of Freemasonry”. “Freemasonry from 1600 to the Grand Lodge Era”, “King Solomon`s Temple and the story of the Third Degree” and “Notes on Browne`s Old Tracing Boards”.
On the 13th March 1907 the Association was visited by Right WB Joseph Inglis and Brethren of Lodge Canongate Kilwinning No.2 Scotland who rehearsed the “Raising” Ceremony as practised in their own Lodge. On April 8th 1932 RWB Inglis, now Past Substitute GMM.of Scotland together with several other brethren of his Lodge again visited Association to renew old acquaintances.
Between June 20th and June 23rd 1929, at the invitation of the Association, Quatuor Coronati Lodge No.2076 held its annual summer in Leeds and District. On June 20th, after having dined at the Mansion, the visitors were entertained with a short musical programme performed by members of the Association at Great George Street, In the following days visits were made to local places of interest including Kirkstall Abbey, Adel Church, Leathley Church, Bolton Abbey, Barden Tower, Fountains Abbey and Skipton.
The MW. The Pro Grand Master, The Rt. Hon. Lord Amphill, GCSI., GCIF. Visited the Association on February 29th 1932 and due to the large number of brethren present to hear his address all could not be accommodated in the Lodge room and arrangements were made to relay it to the remainder in the dining room.
In 1937 WB Frederick Duffield, a Past Master of Coronation Lodge, presented to the Association a Badge of Office to be worn by the President. This was to celebrate the Coronation of King George VI and the fact that the then President was WB F.G. Harmer a Past Master of Coronation Lodge. On April 14th WB J.F. Cawthorn, PAGDC invested WB Harmer with the Badge of Office. The Leeds Corporation had granted permission for the City`s Coat of Arms to be used on the pendant attached to the chain.
Meetings of the Association were suspended from November 1938 until July 22nd 1947 due to the Second World War since the President, Secretary and other members were engaged on duties connected with the war effort.
On the 28th February 1949, the Association was honoured with a visit from the Deputy Grand Master, RW Bro The Right Hon. The Earl of Scarborough who after the reception held in the dining room at Great George Street gave an address in the Temple entitled “The Past Development of English Freemasonry Overseas”.
The Association from time to time published the many interesting and instructive addresses delivered to it`s meetings, including that by the Earl of Scarborough, under the title of “Transactions”. Also in 1935 the Association published the “Yorkshire” Old Charges of Masons, compiled by WBs Poole and Worts, the latter was made an honorary member of The Lodge at its Consecration.
In 1954 the Association celebrated its “Golden Jubilee” at which time its membership numbered 280.
A decline in numbers attending the Association was the real concern which led to the movement seeking to establish the Leeds & District Lodge of Installed Masters, No. 7918, in 1962 to 1963.
Although the Association`s membership was large, at one time over 400, in the early 1960`s attendances were often under 25. The attractions of a regular festive board, of ritual and prospects of office, and the success elsewhere of such lodges were apparent and in the latter half of 1962 it was agreed, albeit not without dissenters, that the Association should be discontinued and a lodge formed in its place.
This was to be the first such Installed Masters` Lodge (and there are still only two such) in the Province of the West Riding. The oldest of all such Lodges was and is the Humber Installed Masters Lodge No. 2494. In the sister Province and subsequently Installed Masters` Lodges have been formed in numbers of other Provinces and Districts.
They, and the proposed new Lodge, were essentially teaching lodges. At Leeds, the meetings were to be held around a lecture (with discussions) or some other Masonically educative event, while at the Installation the incoming Master would deliver a paper too, although not followed by any discussion.
Fidelity Lodge No. 289 agreed to sponsor the new Lodge and this having been reported to a meeting of the Council on 14th February 1963 along with the blessing of the Provincial Grand Master, a sub committee was formed consisting of the President, Secretary, Treasurer and Editor of Transactions along with the memorable W.Bro. K. Hirst, P.A.G.D.C. Prov. G. Secretary to make all the arrangements and suggest a list of officers.
With his assistance matters moved ahead quickly, the equally memorable H Clifford Smith, Provincial Grand Master strongly supported the scheme. The Association held its last meeting a month after the consecration of the new lodge on 30th September 1963 and transferred to it all its assets. The new lodge continued in essence the work of the old Association.
The Consecration of Leeds & District Lodge of Installed Masters No. 7918
30th September, 1963.
LIST OF FOUNDERS
The 36 Founders of the Lodge represented 38 Lodges predominately from the Leeds area but some from neighbouring Cities and Towns a feature which has endured with the Lodge to this present time
It is of note that all the first officers of the Lodge were Founders, with the exception of Bro. Joseph Childs who is recorded as first Tyler, and coincidentally also acted as Tyler for the Consecrating Team on this occasion. This anomaly is probably explained by the fact that Bro. Childs was not an Installed Master and therefore not eligible to be a member of the Lodge, it is a matter of record that he continued as Lodge Tyler until May 1965 when W.Bro. H.Bolton was appointed Lodge Tyler. by the new W.M. W.Bro. Percival John Hollands
The Lodge was duly consecrated in regular form by the Provincial Grand Master and the First Master installed by the Deputy Provincial Master Designate , this was a solemn and magnificent occasion duly recorded in the first minute book of the Lodge.
Minutes of the Consecration meeting of the Leeds and District Lodge of Installed Masters, No. 7918, held at the Masonic Hall, Great George St. Leeds 1 on Monday, 30th September 1963.
By virtue of the Warrant hereinafter referred to, R.W. Bro. H. Clifford Smith, JP. Provincial Grand Master of the Province of Yorkshire ( West Riding ), W. Bro. John H. Bromley, P.G.D. Deputy Provincial Grand Master Designate , W. Bro. Sir James Croysdale, P.G.D. Assistant Provincial Grand Master, W.Bro. Reginald E. Pleasance, P.G.D. Assistant Provincial Grand Master with other distinguished Grand and Provincial officers and visiting brethren joined the Founders of the Leeds and District Lodge of Installed Masters, No. 7918 at the Masonic Hall Great George Street, Leeds1 at 3 o`clock in the afternoon for the Consecration of the said Lodge according to the ancient customs of the Craft and the Laws, rules and orders contained in the Book of Constitutions.
All the Founders and Worshipful Brethren not of Grand rank nor Consecrating Officers assembled in the Lodge room and waited the entrance in procession of the Provincial Grand Master , his Deputy Designate and the Assistants , the Officers of Grand Lodge and the Consecrating Officers.
The Consecrating Officers were :-
R.W.Bro. H. CLIFFORD SMITH, J.P. Prov. G. Master. as Master
W.Bro. JOHN H. BROMLEY, P,G.D. Deputy Prov. G. Master. as I.P.M.
W. Bro. Sir JAMES CROYSDALE, P.G.D. Ass. Prov. G. Master.
W.Bro. R. E. PLEASANCE, P.G.D. Ass. Prov. G. Master.
W.Bro. ARNOLD MABBOTT, Prov, Senior G. Warden. S.W.
W.Bro. RUBAN VIVER, Prov. Junior G. Warden. J.W.
W.Bro. Rev. LIONEL S. GRIFFITH, P. Prov. G. Chaplain. Chaplain
W.Bro.JOHN B. BEAUMONT, Prov. G. Registrar. Registrar
W.Bro. K.HIRST, P.A.G.D.C., Prov. G. Secretary. Secretary
W.Bro. N. SCHOFIELD, Prov. G.D.C. D.C.
W.Bro. STANLEY SQUIRE, Prov. Senior G. Deacon, S.D.
W.Bro. LAWRENCE TOWNEND, Prov. Junior G.Deacon, J.D.
W. Bro. WALLACE HEMINGWAY, Prov. G. Supt. of Works. Supt. Wks.
W.Bro. R.V. ALLEN, Prov. G. Organist. Organist
W.Bro. ANDREW JOLLIE, Prov. G. Pursuivant. I.G.
Bro. J. CHILDS. Tyler
A total of 15.
The Founders present were :-
V.W.Bro. CHARLES OTTLEY ELLISON, P.G.Chaplain 1311 5481
W.Bro. JOHN RICHARD RYLANDS, P.G.D. 2076, 4065, 6413
W.Bro. PERCIVAL JOHN HOLLANDS, 1211,7728
W.Bro. GLADSTONE SMITHIES, P.G.D. 211,4715
W.Bro. LOUIS ELY WIGODER, P.A.G.D.C. 4971,6511
W.Bro. ARTHUR LLOYD VAUGHAN, P.P.G.W. 1221
W.Bro. ALLAN ROBERTS BRETHERICK, P.P.A.G.D.C. 1211,5871
W.Bro. REGINALD GOODALL, P.P.A.G.D.C. 4029
W.Bro. HUBERT EDMUND PETTINGELL, 6250
W.Bro. CLIFFORD TOLSON,P.P.A.G.S.ofW. 264
W.Bro. JAMES WILLIAM REDDYHOFF, P.P.G.D. 289
W.Bro. FRED HAROLD PLUMMER, M.C., D.C.M.,T.D., P.P.G.D. 306
W.Bro. LESLIE HOPKINSON, 1042
W.Bro. ARTHUR EDWARD WOOD, P.P.G.D. 1221
W.Bro. REGINALD RAISBECK, P.P.A.G.Chaplain 1311
W.Bro. JOSEPH ROY PARSONS, M.B.E. 2069
W.Bro, HERBERT VINCENT LAURIE, M.B.E., P.P.G.D. 2608
W.Bro. SYDNEY FOWLER BELL, P.P.A.G.D.C. 2922
W.Bro. GEORGE CLIFFORD SWIFT, 3047
W.Bro. ARTHUR GOMERSALL, P.P.A.G.Purst. 4029
W.Bro. REGINALD PROCTER KELLETT, 4047
W.Bro. RICHARD LITTLE, 4353
W.Bro. GRANTHAM ELEY, P.P.G.D. 4920
W.Bro. JACK BERNARD BERWIN, P.P.G.D. 4971
W.Bro. GEORGE HAWKINS, P.P.G.D. 5362
W.Bro. CLIVE LESLIE COOK, 4957,5428
W.Bro, NORMAN HAROLD FOWLER, 5871
W.Bro. ARCHIBALD JOHNSTON, 6212
W.Bro. ARTHUR JOHNSON, 6250
W.Bro. JAMES SPENCER, 6395
W.Bro. DAVID GEORGE LYTTLETON, P.P.G.D. 4971,6511
W.Bro. CLIFFORD KEIGHTLEY, P.P.G.D. 5362,7374
W.Bro. WILLIAM GROSVENOR HARRISON, 1042,7728
W.Bro. JOHN THOMAS LIONEL COOPE, 4796,5612,7728,7847
W.Bro. GEORGE OSMOND WINFIELD PICKARD, P.P.G.D. 1211
W.Bro. HYAM TANHUM LEVI, 1502,4957,4971
A total of 36 who together with the consecrating party of 15 and 115 visiting W. Brethren whose names are all recorded in the Minute book made a grand total of 166 at the Consecration.
W. Bro. Reginald E. Pleasance, P.G.D. Assistant Provincial Grand Master occupied the Chair and a Lodge was opened in the First Degree.
W.Bro. Sir James Croysdale, P.G.D. Assistant Provincial Grand Master occupied the Chair, and a lodge was opened in the Second and Third Degrees.
R.W.Bro. H. Clifford Smith ,the Provincial Grand Master occupied the Chair.
The Provincial Grand Master was saluted with the Grand and Royal Sign, seven times.
The Deputy Provincial Grand Master Designate, W. Bro. John H. Bromley , P.G.D. was saluted five times.
The Assistant Provincial Grand Masters were saluted five times.
V.W.Bro. Ven. Charles Ottley Ellison, P.G.Chaplain, Worshipful Master Designate was saluted five times.
The Officers of Grand Lodge were saluted three times.
The Officers of Provincial Grand Lodge were saluted three times.
W. Bro. John B. Beaumont , Provincial Grand Registrar read the Charter or Warrant , No. 7918 , granted by the Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England constituting V.W.Bro. Ven Charles Ottley Ellison , P.G. Chaplain , W,Bro. John Richard Rylands , J.P., P.G.D. and W.Bro. Percival John Hollands , and other right trusty and well beloved Brethren into a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons under the title on denomination `The Leeds and District Lodge of Installed Masters`.
The ceremony of Consecration was then performed by the Provincial Grand Master , assisted by the Consecrating Officers in a most effective and dignified manner.
W.Bro. Rev. Lionel E. Griffith , P.P.G. Chaplain delivered the Oration on the nature and purposes of the Institution. This Oration was listened to with great attention.
The Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies, W.Bro. Brian M. Schofield rendered excellent service throughout the ceremony.
The Provincial Grand Organist and the members of the choir deserve special mention for the care and attention displayed in the musical arrangements.
The Lodge being thus duly consecrated, the Chair was occupied by W.Bro. John H. Bromley, P.G.D., Deputy Provincial Grand Master Designate, who declared the Master Masons lodge closed and the Lodge resumed in the Second Degree.
V.W.Bro. Ven Charles Ottley Ellison, P.G. Chaplain was presented to receive the benefit of Installation by the Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies and was obligated as regards the government of the Lodge by the Deputy Provincial Grand Master Designate who carried out the duties of Installing Master.
By virtue of his office, the installing Master declared the Lodge open in the Third Degree.
A Board of Installed Masters was formed and the Worshipful Master Designate was installed in the Chair of King Solomon according to ancient custom.
It was with evident pleasure that the Worshipful Master invested W.Bro. Louis Ely Wigoder, P.A.G.D.C. with the collar and Jewel of Immediate Past Master.
The Board of Installed Masters was then closed.
The Lodge was called from Labour to Refreshment, and after a space of about ten minutes from Refreshment to Labour.
The Founders saluted the Worshipful Master as Master Masons in passing and he was proclaimed for the first time, in the East, as Worshipful Master of the Leeds and District Lodge of Installed Masters, No. 7918.
The Working Tools of a Master Mason were presented to the Worshipful Master and the Master Masons Lodge declared closed and work resumed in the Second Degree.
The Founders saluted the Worshipful Master as Fellowcrafts in passing, and he was proclaimed for the second time in the West.
The Working Tools of a Fellowcraft having been presented, the Installing Master declared the Fellowcraft Masons Lodge closed and work resumed in the First Degree.
The Founders saluted the Worshipful Master as Entered Apprentices in passing and he was proclaimed for the third time in the South, Worshipful Master of the Lodge.
The Working Tools of An Entered Apprentice Free Mason were presented , as were the Warrant, Book of Constitutions and the Bye Laws of Provincial Grand Lodge.
The Provincial Grand Master invested W. Bro. John Richard Rylands, J.P. P.G.D., the first Senior Warden, with the collar and Jewel of his office.
Then W.Bro. Percival John Hollands was invested with the collar and jewel as first Junior Warden.
W. Bro. G.O.W. Pickard, P.P.G.D. proposed and G. Elley, P.P.G.W. seconded that the appointment of Treasurer be left in the hands of the W.M. who the proceeded to nominate W. Br. R. Goodall P.P.A.G.D.C.
It was similarily proposed and seconded by the same W.Brethren that the appointment of Tyler be left in the hands of the W.M., who nominated Bro. J. Childs to that office.
The W.M. then appointed and invested the remaining officers of the Lodge as follows :-
Chaplain...............................W.Bro. REGINALD RAISBECK, P.P.A.G.Chaplain.
Treasurer.............................W.Bro. REGINALD GOODALL, P.P.A.G.D.C.
Secretary.............................W.Bro. HUBERT EDMUND PETTINGELL.
D.C......................................W.Bro. CLIFFORD TOLSON, P.P.A.G.S.ofW.
S.D.......................................W.Bro. CLIFFORD KEIGHTLEY, P.P.G.D.
J.D........................................W.Bro. JAMES SPENCER,
Asst.D.ofC.............................W.Bro. ARTHUR LLOYD VAUGHAN, P.P.G.W.
Asst. Sec................................W.Bro. RONALD PROCTOR KELLETT.
I.G.........................................W.Bro.GEORGE HAWKINS, P.P.G.D.
Steward.................................W.Bro. WILLIAM GROSVENOR HARRISON
Tyler...........................................Bro. JOSEPH CHILDS
The W.M. appointed W.Bro. Archibald Johnstone Superintendent of Works.
The Address to the W,M. Was given by the Provincial Grand Master.
The Address to the Wardens was given by W,Bro. Reginald E. Pleasance, P.G.D., Assistant Provincial Grand Master.
The Addess to the Brethren was given by W.Bro. Sir James Croysdale, P.G.D., Assistant Provincial Grand Master.
On the proposition of W.Bro. H.V. Lawrie, P.P.G.D., seconded by W.Bro. J. Spencer, it was resolved unanimously . that W.Bro. A. Gomersall P.P.A.G. Purst. Be elected Charity Rep. Of the Lodge.
On the proposition of W.Bro. R. Little, seconded by W. Bro. A. Gomersal, P.P.A.G. Purst. It was resolved that the Bye Laws as circulated to the Founders be adopted.
On the proposition of W.Bro. G. Hawkins P.P.G.D. seconded by W.Bro. R.P.Kellett, the holding of a lodge of Instruction was sanctioned.
On Behalf of the Lodge the W.M. offered Honorary Membership to the following W. Brethren and stated the necessary ballot would be held at the first regular meeting of the Lodge.
R.W.Bro. H. CLIFFORD SMITH, J.P. Prov. G. Master.
W.Bro. JOHN H. BROMLEY, P,G.D. Deputy Prov. G. Master.
W. Bro. Sir JAMES CROYSDALE, P.G.D. Ass. Prov. G. Master.
W.Bro. R. E. PLEASANCE, P.G.D. Ass. Prov. G. Master.
W.Bro. F.R. WORTS, P.A.G.D.C. who along with W.B. Poole had compiled “Yorkshire Old Charges of Masons” for the Association.
There were 25 Worshipfull Brethren proposed as Joining members by W. Bro. Pettingell, Secretary and seconded by V.W.Bro. C.O. Ellison. P.G.Chap. Master.
Apologies were received from:- W.Bro. John Tait, P.G.D. P. Deputy Prov. G.M., and W.Bro. L. Hopkinson and G.C. Swift, Founders.
Hearty Good wishes having been expressed to the W.M. by the P.G.M. and all the W. Brethren present, the Lodge was closed in peace and harmony at 6.15pm.
The Consecration Banquet
After the Consecration a magnificent Banquet was served at The Masonic Hall, Great George Street, Leeds consisting of :-
Smoked salmon served with Halgartens Blackfriars 1959 Wine.
Cream of celery soup.
Roast sliced fillet of English steak,Garni served with Beaujolis 1959 Wine.
Fresh fruit salad and whipped cream.
Coffee and cream.
Eleven Toasts were proposed at the Festive Board of which six were responded to by members of the Consecration team and the Master of the Lodge of Fidelity No. 289, W.B. H.G. Hanson.
This had been a solemn and magnificent occasion all of which is recorded in the first Minute Book of the Lodge, and The L.D.L.I.M. No. 7918 Transactions for the Years 1962-65 Volume XXX111.
The Consecration took place at the Former Masonic Hall still standing at the corner of Great George Street and Dudley Way (formerly St. Anne`s St. a direct reference to the Catholic Cathedral which is nearby,)
The building a Grade 11 listed building is now known as Cathedral Chambers, the Lodge was built to designs by J.M. Bottomley specifically as a Masonic Hall, there are Masonic symbols in the entrance and the square and compass are displayed above it.
The granite foundation stone being laid by Francis Greville, the Right Honourable 5th Earl of Warwick on the 18th July 1900. Greville was the Deputy Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England, the Grand Master being Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, later King Edward V11.
Lord Warwick was married to Francis Evelyn `Daisy` Maynard daughter of the Hon. Charles Henry Maynard in 1881, she was a well known British Socialite of that period reputed to have inspired that popular and well loved Music Hall song `Daisy, Daisy`.
Daisy was also reputed to be the long standing mistress of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales.
The Hall was formerly the home of the Provincial Grand Lodge of West Yorkshire, also housing the Leeds Masonic Hall Co. Ltd. and a number of Leeds Lodges including Philanthropic who in 1865 had built the other Masonic Hall still standing at 26 Great George St. but now an Irish Pub, O`Neills.
Cathedral Chambers was converted to offices in 1991 becoming the home of Bowmans Family Law Solicitors. The Hall is currently empty and on the property market once more, perhaps another theme pub, who knows!
Prominent Founder member of the Lodge.
W.Bro. J.W.Reddyhoff P,P,G.D who passed away on 15th October 2012 aged 94 was a founder of the Lodge and a well respected Mason in the Leeds area .He was a member of The Lodge of Fidelity No. 289 the oldest existing Lodge in the Leeds area tracing its origins back to 1st. October 1792 when it met in the Old George Inn , Lower Briggate, Leeds. Bro. Jim was made a Mason of the Lodge in 1946, served as their W.M. in 1961 and whilst in the chair he was appointed PPSGD. He had been appointed Honorary Assistant Librarian to the Province in 1956 becoming Honorary Librarian in 1962 a position he held for 38 years.
Made W.M. of this Lodge in 1984 he was always active being a regular visitor to the Lodge throughout his life.
In 1990 he was elected a full member of Quatuor Coronati Lodge No. 2076 and contributed and had papers published up to his death.
The Provincial Grand Master R.W. Bro. Clayton who delivered an eulogy at his funeral at St. Chads Church, Far Headingley, Leeds concluded by saying “ Bro. Jim Reddyhoff holds a special place in the affections of many Brethren with whom he has come into contact. We can truly say that he has lived respected and he dies regretted.”
Development of the Lodge
The first regular meeting of the Lodge was held on Monday 11th November 1963 at Great George St. Leeds when the business included balloting for the Honorary Members proposed by the W.M. at the Consecration.
Balloting for and if elected admit as joining members those 25 W.B. proposed and seconded at the Consecration.
To receive an address from the Provincial Grand Master , R.W.Bro. H. Clifford Smith, J.P., entitled :-
“ The Purpose of Secrecy in Freemasonry “
This address is fully recorded in the Transactions as previously reported.
The cost of the Festive Board was 10/-. 55 W.B. and B are recorded as visitors and a further 40 candidates for joining were proposed and seconded, halcyon days indeed!
Great George St. remained the home of the Lodge until 1988, the last meeting being held on Tuesday the 4th October the W.M. at this time was W.B. Fowler Yates McKendrick.
The next meeting was held at Castle Grove Masonic Hall on 29th. November 1988, this remaining the permanent home to this day. This move appears to have gone without any problems and was probably brought about by the intended closure of Great George St.
The Lodge holds 4 meetings a year around a lecture ( with discussions ) or some other Masonically educative event while at the Installation in May traditionally the incoming Master delivers his inaugural lecture although not followed by discussion.
The Lodge today is in good heart having 46 members and 2 Honorary members R.W.Bro John K. Clayton and W.Bro. Frank A. Chappel, members are still drawn from Ilkley, Pudsey, Wetherby, Castleford, Wakefield, Heckmondwike as well as from the Lodges of Leeds.
the Lodge Liason Officer is W.Bro. Trevor D. Kent-Jones a regular visitor to our proceedings.
The Lodge still endeavours to promote a greater understanding of the world of Freemasonry from it`s home at Castle Grove, Headingley, currently an active programme of publicity is being implemented in order to inform brethren in Leeds and at a greater distance of the lodges` interests and significance.